Reshipping an order is when an order with a fulfilled status needs to be reprocessed. This may occur for several reasons, including but not limited to:
- A label being incorrectly printed
- A product was received damaged
- A package was lost in transit
- A package was Returned to Sender
This article covers how to reship an order and how to keep inventory accurate throughout the process.
Understanding the "Add to Inventory" Option
Before going through the reshipping process, you need to determine whether additional units need to be removed from inventory or not. The Add to Inventory option will add the Quantity Shipped entered on the reshipping page back into stock, and once the order has been reprocessed (reshipped), the system will remove the inventory, resulting in no additional units being removed.
When to Use the Add to Inventory Option
As a rule of thumb, use the Add to Inventory option if the original package and products are physically at the warehouse. For example, if a generic label is printed instead of a pre-paid carrier label or the package was returned to sender.
Using the Add to Inventory button will be reflected in your inventory as such.
When Not to Use the Add to Inventory Option
If the order has left the building and additional units need to be removed from inventory during the reshipping process, do not use the Add to Inventory option. This includes orders that need to be reprocessed due to a carrier error (damaged or lost in transit) or when a replacement is required.
Below is an example of how the inventory updates when the Add to Inventory option is not selected in the reshipping process.
How to Reship an Order
Follow the steps below to reship a single order.
- Go to app.shiphero.com > Orders > Manage Orders, search for the required order, and open it.
- Scroll down to the Actions box and select the Re-Ship button.
- Select the order status the order will be assigned when re-opened. By default, ShipHero uses the order status at the time of shipping. As a best practice, if the reshipping process is to be owned by a specific person or team, we recommend using a custom status, i.e., Reshipping, CS Team.
- Select the Checkbox next to the item(s) that need to be reshipped, adjust the Quantity Shipped, and check Add to Inventory as required; please review the section above on when to use this setting.
NOTE: The amount entered in the Quantity Shipped is the amount that will be reprocessed. This is not always the same amount that was previously shipped or Quantity Ordered. For example: if a customer ordered 2 snowglobes and one was damaged in transit, update the Quantity Shipped to 1 to replace the single item.
- Optional: Add an Operator Hold to the order to prevent it from being processed. This is recommended if other changes need to be made to the order, i.e., address changes, adding additional items, etc. Then, remove the operator hold when the order is ready to be processed.
- Select Re-Ship.
NOTE: For Shopify stores, since the order was already set to fulfilled when it was initially shipped, ShipHero will not send updated shipping information to Shopify.