You may need to reship an order because you want to change the shipping method, or because a carrier loses the package. Whatever the reason, it's important to make sure that a reshipped order is accurately reflected in your inventory. Use this article to assist you in the reship process.
When reshipping an already-shipped order, you have to put it back into a pending status.
- Go to app.shiphero.com > Orders > Manage Orders and select the order you need to reship.
- On the order details page, navigate to the Actions and select Re-Ship.
- A new window will appear. Click the Select checkboxes for the items you want to reship. If the items you want to reship haven't left the warehouse yet, you can select the Add to Inventory to indicate that you do not want to deduct the inventory twice. (See below for more information.) Once you've selected your items, click Reship.
Note: This menu will only show items that have already been shipped, so if you are shipping an order as partial, it will not show the unfulfilled items.
- Having done so, the order will update the fulfilled item to the amount specified:
- The product will now show as unfulfilled on the order and allow you to ship it again.
Using "Add to Inventory"
Note: This option is not available to 3PL clients. Orders reshipped by a 3PL client will not return inventory back to stock.
When you reship an order and generate a new label, by default the stock will be removed from your inventory again.
For example, if you had 10 units of a product and shipped one, you would then have 9 in your inventory. Because the customer says it was damaged in transit, you reship another unit, leaving you with 8.
What if you sell one unit but the package hasn’t left your building yet, and you just need to generate a different label? Because you've already packed the unit, your inventory is set to 9 units. You wouldn't want to deduct the same unit a second time. In this case, you would check the Add to Inventory box when you reship, resetting your inventory to an accurate number.
This process will not remove the original shipment from the order, so it will still show in logs and will continue to exist in the carrier records if not voided.
Your actual reship process may differ depending on the workflow, but keep in mind that the Add to Inventory option can be a useful tool.