This article reviews which settings should be managed in the 3PL account and which should be managed at the 3PL child account. 3PL child accounts do not have permission to ship orders, so as a rule of thumb the 3PL parent should manage settings for inventory, picking, packing, and shipping while the 3PL child account manages administrative functions for their products.
Settings Managed on the 3PL Parent Account
The 3PL is the main warehouse. As such, 3PL settings include shipping, order management, and inventory management. The 3PL parent account has full access and visibility into each of the connected child accounts for management purposes.
- If using the 3PL carriers for shipping orders, then carriers should be set up on the 3PL account by routing to app.shiphero.com > Shipping > Carriers.
- Shipping boxes should be set up in the 3PL account by going to app.shiphero.com > Shipping > Boxes.
- Orders should be fulfilled and labels generated through the 3PL account. Child accounts should not be shipping orders.
- Product locations should be created in the 3PL account since they are the main warehouse.
- Inventory changes should be done on the 3PL account since they are responsible for maintaining an accurate inventory count.
- Receiving can only be done by the 3PL, the 3PL child will not be able to view Purchase Orders for receiving.
Note: 3PL Child accounts are not able to see the PO endeavor tab because this is only for receiving. They can create the PO in app.shiphero.com, but if they try to go to https://purchase-orders.shiphero.com/purchase-orders it will not show.
Settings Managed on the 3PL Child Account
The 3PL Child is the store owner. All store and administrative settings should be done at the 3PL child account level. 3PL child accounts cannot see the 3PL parent account.
- If using the child account's carriers for shipping orders, then carriers should be set up on the child account by routing to app.shiphero.com > Shipping > Carriers. 3PLs will also need to go to the 3PL account and indicate that the child account carriers are being used by routing to app.shiphero.com > 3PL and selecting Use Customer's Shipping Accounts.
- Shipping methods should be mapped in the Child account.
- Child accounts can create manual orders and upload orders via CSV
- Automation rules are created in the child account by going to app.shiphero.com > Orders > Automation Rules.
- Store profiles are created in the child account by going to app.shiphero.com > My Account > Warehouses > Add a Warehouse > Profile (Create a New Profile).
- Low stock notifications are enabled on the child account under app.shiphero.com > My Account > Settings > Notifications.
- The Need to Order widget on the Home Dashboard is only visible to the child account (app.shiphero.com > Home > Need to Order)
- Purchase Orders can be created on app.shiphero.com but cannot be viewed on the Receiving page.
- eCommerce stores should be connected in the child account
- CartRover connections should be made in the specific customer account
Settings Managed on Both 3PL Parent and Child Accounts
Certain functions can be performed on either the 3PL parent account or the 3PL child account.
- Creating returns (RMA)
- Updating order details, editing products on orders
- Creating a Purchase Order
- Updating non-inventory related product details
- User permissions can be managed by the 3PL or the 3PL child account, but permissions need to be adjusted in the specific child account that the user was created in.
- Store settings can be updated in either account.