Bulk Ship is great for picking and packing large quantities of the same product(s). It's the fastest way to get a large volume of orders out the door.
NOTE: The bulk ship process needs to be completed on a PC or MAC, but you can have your team use the mobile application using the Bulk Ship QR code that is printed with the labels and invoices PDF.
The Suggested Tab
The suggested tab has a list of batches that ShipHero has automatically grouped. The top 10 batches are prioritized first by the number of orders in the Batch Column and then by the total number of items in the Items Qty Column. Orders are grouped based on the following attributes:
- Status ≠ fulfilled or canceled
- Single line item with the same SKU
- Multiple line items with various SKUs
- Same 3PL customer (if a 3PL)
- Order is ready to ship (NOT in batch, tote, on hold, or locked to a user)
Click on the batch in order to open the Bulk Ship Pick & Pack screen and begin the Bulk Ship workflow.
Note: SKUs that are assigned serial numbers are not included in Bulk Ship
Create Custom Batches
Users have the ability to use the search bar and filters to create custom batches with multiple line items or SKUs.
- Insert the first SKU or item name in the search box.
- Filter by Customer.
- Filter by the Item quantity once SKU(s) have been selected.
- Click on the batch in order to open the Bulk Ship Pick & Pack screen and begin the Bulk Ship Workflow.
Review the Picking Location(s)
The batch process automatically allocates orders to locations for picking. After reviewing the item to be picked, you can select the Print picking list.
Dynamic Slotting Only: By clicking on the location badge you can view a summary of all pickable locations and decide where to pick from for this batch. You may select a different location to pick from assuming there is enough product in that location. If you wish to pick from a location where there is not enough quantity, a bin transfer must be made first before you can do the batch. You can also ship from non-pickable bins if needed
Decide How You Want Your Orders to be Packed
Individual orders can be packed in one box, or the orders can be split up into a multi-pack shipment.
Single Package Shipment
- Enter the quantity of each SKU by line item
- Select the box type and confirm that the measurements are appropriately updated
- The weight will be automatically pulled in from the scale or can be manually entered
Note: Users are able to use a barcode scanner to increase the SKU quantities and select a custom box type. Please make sure to "step in" to the custom box drop-down when scanning a box type.
Multi-pack shipments are orders that ship in more than one box.
- Enter the quantity of each SKU by line item to the first box
- Select the “...” menu button and Add new box.
- Enter the quantity of each SKU by line item for this box. Repeat to add additional boxes as needed.
- Select the box type for each and confirm that the measurements are appropriately updated.
- The weight should be manually entered.
Note: Boxes can be removed by selecting the “...” menu button and "Delete box". Multi box shipments cannot be made when shipping with "cheapest".
You can choose to edit the default shipping method for one or many orders at once. Simply check the box next to the orders you wish to edit, select the Edit shipping method button, and pick the appropriate method.
Note: You can select multiple rows of orders by checking the first box, then holding down the SHIFT key and checking the last box.
Generate & Print Shipping Labels
Once you have decided how the individual orders will be packed, scroll down to generate and print shipping labels. Users have the option to only generate labels, generate labels and invoices, or generate labels and invoices separately by clicking on the arrow:
Note: Use the Generate labels & invoices option if you wish to print the documents on the label printer together.
Note: The picking list will be printed with the labels when generated. Picking lists can be reprinted in the Batch screen by selecting Print Picking List.
Customer Shipping Notifications
Bulk Ship can use instant or delayed notifications.
Instant Notifications (Default):
- Generate the labels.
- Automatically mark the orders as complete.
- Instantly transmit tracking info to your store.
- This completes the batch process.
Delayed Notification (enabled by request):
- Generate the labels.
- Manually mark the orders Shipped.
- Tracking info only sent to the store when marked Shipped.
- This completes the batch process.
Which option makes sense for your company? Let's break it down:
Delayed Notification gives you the ability to manually mark orders complete. This means you are able to pick and pack orders on the weekend or outside of normal hours and notify the store of the shipment once it is picked up by the carrier. This could be later the same day, the next business day, etc. Using Delayed Notification will eliminate the confusion of your customer being given a tracking number when the package has yet to be picked up.
Note: The Delayed Notifications feature only affects Bulk Ship. It does not affect orders shipped outside of Bulk Ship. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like this feature enabled in your account.
Reading the Label Summary
The Label Summary column indicates the status of each order
- The Label icon turns bold if at least one of the labels is correctly generated
- The Printer icon turns bold if all orders had valid labels and the PDF was printed
- The Truck icon turns bold if an order has been marked as shipped
You can see additional details in the Label Summary by hovering your mouse over the different icons.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: What are the definitions of the Batch Statuses?
A: Definitions of batch statuses are below:
- Error: Some errors may occur while generating the labels or if some of the orders in the batch have been put on hold or canceled.
- Generating Labels: The batch is in the process of generating labels.
- Ready to Print: You can print a PDF with the labels.
- Complete: All the orders have labels generated and the PDF with the labels has been printed/opened (if Delayed Notifications is NOT enabled).
- Ready to Pack: All the orders have labels generated and the PDF with the labels has been printed/opened (if Delayed Notifications is enabled).
- Shipped: All orders are marked as shipped (if Delayed Notifications is enabled)
Q: How are Batches sorted?
A: Batches are sorted first by Batch Status (from top to bottom: Error, Generating Labels, Ready to Print, Ready to Pack, Shipped) and second by Creation Date (from oldest to newest).
Q: What does the error “An error occurred while trying to generate labels” mean?
A: This error is generated when the carrier responds with an error. Users can try to resolve the problems or can remove these orders and re-process labels and invoices.
Q: What does the error “The batch has orders on hold or canceled and that is blocking the process” mean?
A: This error is generated when an order has been canceled or put on hold while attempting to ship the batch. Users can resolve the issues for each order, or remove the orders and reprocess labels and invoices.
Q: Why does my batch say “Ready to Print”?
A: Batches are considered "Ready to Print" once all orders have labels generated (not necessarily printed) or some have labels generated and others are voided. Once in this status, the batch is ready for labels and invoices to be printed.
An example of a batch where all orders have labels:
An example of a batch where some orders have labels, and others are voided:
Q: What does the “Ready to Pack” status mean?
A: Batches are considered "Ready to Pack" once all orders have labels generated and the PDF with the labels has been printed (opened).
Note: if you are using the optional feature to delay sending tracking information, then batches will go into a "Ready to Pack" status. When the user clicks Mark orders as shipped, the batch status will change to "Complete" once all orders in the batch are marked as shipped.
Q: What does the “Shipped” status mean?
A: Batches are considered "Shipped" when the orders are marked as "Shipped".
Q: I received an error stating "Multi box pricing is not available with this shipping method." What is wrong?
A: When shipping with multiple boxes, users cannot ship using "cheapest".
Q: How can I void and reship batches?
A: To void and reship a batch, select all labels and click the Void Label button. This automatically voids the shipping labels and reships the order.